University of Bristol - Historical Photographs of China reference number: VH02-047. Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institution reference: L04357-015c. The Wills’ Bridge (Garden Bridge; Waibaidu Bridge), was built in 1856. It was the first foreign bridge to cross Suzhou Creek (Soochow Creek, 苏州河, Wusong River, 吴淞江). The bridge was named after a British businessman, Charles Wills, of Jardine, Matheson & Co. See VH01-042 and VH02-045.
Black and white photograph
Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institution, Bath