Whale jaw bone arch, park entrance, Weihaiwei
University of Bristol - Historical Photographs of China reference number: BL04-67. In pencil on the back of the photograph: "Whalebones at Garden entrance WHW". On the left is a 'BRITISH POST OFFICE LETTER BOX'. This park in Weihaiwei (Weihai) has been called Wu-k'ou (坞口) Park and St James’ Park. In 1916, a dead whale was found on the beach, and some of its bones were placed in this park. After that, it was called Whale Park. Today in Weihai, there is a block called Whale Park (鲸园). In 1966, the whale bones were removed. Local people also call this park Sanjiao (三角) Park due to its shape. See an image in the National Archives, ref: CO1069/438 (24a).
Black and white photograph