Parade Ground, St John's Cathedral and Johnston’s House (Augustine Heard & Co), Hong Kong
University of Bristol - Historical Photographs of China reference number: RH01-18. Royal Hampshire Regiment Museum reference: M890.88. This photograph is from an album of photographs collected together by Colonel John Eyles Blundell, documenting his military career. Construction began on the building in the centre of this photograph, in 1842. Known as Johnston’s House, it was briefly the temporary residence for the Governor and then the Supreme Court, before being remodelled in 1860 and rented to Augustine Heard & Co. and other companies. Albert Heard was the Russian consul and the building was used as the Russian Consulate in the 1870s. In 1879, it was acquired by Emanuel Raphael Belilios, and later renamed ‘Beaconsfield’. The premises were occupied by firms including Hongkong & Shanghai Bank, Butterfield & Swire, and used for government offices. In 1915, the building was acquired by the Missions Étrangères de Paris and renamed ‘French Mission Building’. The building was demolished in 1916. Government House is behind Johnston’s House, to the right. (Source: Gwulo - https://gwulo.com/node/42372). See VH03-28 and VH03-29.
304mm x 243mm
Black and white photograph
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Museum