Entrance to the Huihuiying Mosque (回回营清真寺遗存), Beijing
University of Bristol - Historical Photographs of China reference number: Bo01-056. Photograph by Charles Frederick Moore. Huihuiying Mosque [回回营清真寺遗存; Huiziying mosque], in Western Chang’an Street, Donganfu Hutong, near Beihai Park, Beijing. The mosque was built during the Qing Dynasty, 1736 -1795 and faced north towards the Imperial Place, rather than westwards towards Mecca. The mosque was destroyed in 1915. Part of the main building of the mosque can be seen behind the entrance. A Peking Cart is on the left and some people are sitting by the entrance. In the foreground is a wide rutted road. See James A. Millward ‘A Uyghur Muslim in Qianlong’s Court: The Meaning of the Fragrant Concubine’ (1994).